Asociación Puertorriqueña de Hemofilia y Condiciones de Sangrado (APH) has been the support to hundreds of bleeding disorders patients and their families through the years. As the world knows in 2017 Puerto Rico was struck by two powerful hurricanes that devastated the entire island. In the middle of the recovery process, some APH volunteers stepped up individually with some industry partners to help our bleeding disorders community. Even though at that moment there was no formal assistance program, our volunteers were able to help lots of families in need. APH recognized the need of creating a formal assistance program and pushed the organization and their affiliates to create a proper patients assistance program. In 2020 while facing the Covid-19 pandemic, APH launched this Emergency Financial Assistance Program to ease the anguish of the families through this health crisis.
The Emergency Financial Assistance Program is part of the Asociación Puertorriqueña de Hemofilia y Condiciones de Sangrado (APH) continuing effort to improve the quality of life of individuals and their families affected by bleeding disorders in Puerto Rico. Through this program, APH provides emergency financial support, based on availability of funding, to help pay for, but not limited to the following examples:
- Expenses incurred in the care, treatment, or prevention of a bleeding disorder;
- Transportation services to medical appointments and HTCs;
- Basic living expense emergencies (rent, mortgage, utilities, food, etc.);
- Medic Alert Bracelets;
Prospective applicants will need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Puerto Rico.
- Be a parent or caregiver of a minor child who lives in your home and who has a diagnosis of a bleeding disorder OR be an individual with a diagnosed bleeding disorder.
- Complete the Emergency Financial Assistance application and APH determines that the applicant qualifies for financial assistance pursuant to its Emergency Financial Assistance Policy.
- APH recommends that applicants request assistance from at least two (2) other agencies before applying to APH for funding. You may be asked to provide any relevant contact information for those agencies and the status of your requests.
APH cannot provide funding directly to the individual applicant(s). Disbursements will be made directly to vendors identified in the application that have been verified by the Asociación Puertorriqueña de Hemofilia y Condiciones de Sangrado. In the case of a request for food, the APH board or staff may facilitate expenditures without giving cash directly to the client.
Please submit all applications along with relevant bills via email or postal mail:
- Asociación Puertorriqueña de Hemofilia y Condiciones de Sangrado
PMB 633, PO Box 29005,
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00929-0005